The detachable wheelchair wheel
The detachable wheelchair wheel from trivida® allows wheelchair users to make an obstacle-free transfer – from and into the wheelchair – for the first time. People with restrictions of the upper locomotor system may still need assistance, but do not necessarily have to be lifted. A pioneering solution for more inclusion and barrier-free living.
The trivida® wheel makes everyday mobility easier for wheelchair users. Daily transfers between wheelchair and bed, toilet or shower stool, couch, chair, stair lift or car seat require less effort and thus become easier.
Moving from the wheelchair and back is not only tedious and exhausting, but also associated with a high risk of falling and injury. The detachable wheelchair provides a safer transfer option.
Better quality of life
The detachable wheelchair wheel enables greater mobility and independence to master everyday tasks with maximum self-determination and improving quality of life.
Be it a visit to a beer garden, restaurant, cinema or theatre – everywhere the trivida® wheel enables barrier-free transfer and thus makes a valuable contribution to more participation and enjoyment in the community.
Relief for relatives
The trivida® wheels support independent transfers, this helps carers avoid many common and chronic neck, shoulders and back injuries due to the ongoing strain of lifting.
Being able to transfer independently to a toilet, kermode or shower chair removes the need for someone to be present and provides so much more privacy and dignity.
A True Invention and a “World First”
Who might use trivida wheels and other benefits?
- Anyone that uses a manual wheelchair and transfers to chairs, lounges, bed, toileting, showering, transport (car/van/plane)
- For wheelchair users with limited upper body strength that find it difficult to lift themselves over a wheel arch to transfer
- Supports some rehab patients to more quickly develop skills to transition to a home environment independently
- Creates independence for stoke survivors that may be hemiplegic eg. one side of the body with limited functionality
- Reduces lifting required by carers and health workers
- Increases social inclusion – able to transfer to restaurants/café/theatre seating and move the wheelchair out of the way
- The segments can be detached for compact transport in a car/plane
- The clasps are ergonomically designed so they can be operated without full hand dexterity
- Carbon fibre wheels are lighter and best suited to wet areas and rough terrain
- The wheels fit most wheelchairs and have a 12mm quick release axle and conversion kits of other sizes
- The wheels have potential to save paid carers costs of transferring between $1,000 to $1,780 per week (see assumptions).
Independence, Mobility & Social Inclusion
Re-inventing the wheel in a good way!