Using trivida wheels often means that people using wheelchairs will not require assistance to transfer to a chair, lounge, in/out of bed, showering or for toileting. The wheels are barrier free – the top segment of the wheel is easily removed allowing the user to move from wheelchair to a chair or other surface independently.
While trivida wheels aid independence and mobility, there is also potentially a significant cost savings in carer time.
In a recent cost benefit analysis, the cost savings in Australia (June 2023) ranged from $1047.79.40 to $1781.25 per week based on the following assumptions:
- Professional paid carer rates were used for seven days a week (higher rates for weekends), a minimum of half an hour per session with some activities combined to make them more cost effective.
- Activities included:
– Transfer from bed to wheelchair plus shower assistance
– Toileting x 4 times per day
– Transfer to lounge/car x 2 times per day
– Transfer to bed at night.
While savings are useful, the real value lies in greater independence, freedom and dignity which impacts directly on a person’s mental health and outlook on life – this is priceless.